Survey: About half of Americans save for retirement
About 95% of Americans say they wish they were better able to manage their money, according to a survey by the ING Institute for Retirement Research. The survey found that only 53% of Americans were saving for retirement, although 97% said they realize that it is better to start saving earlier.
My advice is to set some goals: Here are some my personal goals.
1. Establish a rainy day fund, in my opinion, you should have about 6 months of your normal living expenses, cash-flow, saved and readily available for a rainy day.
2. Fund you Employer sponsored qualified retirement plan, i.e. 401(k), SIMPLE IRA, etc. and take advantage of the tax savings and employer matching programs.
3. Pay down debt, having action oriented goals for paying down debts, in my opinion, this is VERY important, especially credit card and other high interest personal debt.
4. Live with your means, establish a budget and stick to it. Don’t live excessively, be thrifty and economize!
5. Don’t take unnecessary risks with your hard earned money, in other words, “your investments should be well diversified, and your portfolio based on sound, proven advice!” Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Thanks for reading and contact me if you have questions.