Alabama Immigration Law Employer Requirements
Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify)
Employer To Do List
1. Register your business with E-Verify. Have each registered user take the tutorial and pass the test. Use E-Verify within 3 days of each new hire.
2. Printout and keep your Memorandum of Understanding and attach it to any sworn affidavits of immigration compliance.
3. Review your company’s I-9s. Make sure you have an I-9 for every current employee. Get an independent review if necessary. Do an I-9 for any employee who does not have one. If you need to make corrections to the I-9, correct them by hand and initial the changes. Do not back date any I-9s.
4. Place posters so that prospective employees see that you are enrolled in E-Verify.
5. On government work, obtain compliance affidavits and proof of compliance from your subcontractors, vendors, and suppliers.
6. Put an E-Verify policy in your employee handbook.
7. Properly terminate an employee if you become aware of their illegal status. I recommend giving employees about 30 days to bring you appropriate documentation of their legal status. Get guidance from human resource personnel or attorneys. Make sure you are not discriminating against an authorized worker.
8. Stay informed at www.immigration.alabama.gov and at www.uscis.gov.